How does vitamin D help the body? It is a fat-soluble vitamin that has long been known to help the body absorb and retain calcium and phosphorus; both are critical for building bone. Also, laboratory studies show that vitamin D can reduce cancer cell growth, help control infections and reduce inflammation.
Which fruit is rich in vitamin D?
|FOODbc||SMALLER PORTIONd||Vitamin D (IU)|
|Orange juice, 100%, fortified||1/2 cup||50|
|Almond beverage (almond milk), unsweetened||1/2 cup||54|
What does vitamin D come from? Vitamin D isn’t naturally found in many foods, but you can get it from fortified milk, fortified cereal, and fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel and sardines. Your body also makes vitamin D when direct sunlight converts a chemical in your skin into an active form of the vitamin (calciferol).
What are 10 benefits of vitamin D?
- It strengthens the immune system.
- It might prevent certain types of cancer.
- It boosts your mood.
- It can aid in weight loss.
- It can lower the risk of rheumatoid arthritis.
- It lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- It can help lower blood pressure.
- It might reduce the risk of heart disease.